Brief Introduction on Dist. Archaeological Museum, Anantpur :
Bapu Museum previously known as Victoria Jubilee Museum is located near Sub Collector’s Office, Bandar Road, Vijayawada Town. The Museum Building was constructed in ashlar masonry, a classic example of the Indo-European architectural style. The foundation stone for the building was laid by Robert Sewell, the then District Collector, Krishna on June 27th 1887, to mark the occasion of Golden Jubilee Celebrations of Queen Victoria’s coronation. The building was constructed to house the industrial exhibition. Later it came under the control of the Zamindars of Nuzividu, District Board, Krishna and Zilla Parishad of Krishna. In the year 1962 the Department of Archaeology and Museums, Government of Andhra Pradesh took over the building and established an Archaeological Museum and named as Victoria Jubilee Museum. In 2015 the museum was renamed as Bapu Museum in memory of Sri Sattiraju Laxminarayana, the great Film Director, Cartoonist, Painter and Author.
In 1921, the All India Congress Committee met here, when Sri Pingali Venkayya of Munagala Samsthana presented the tri-colour flag to Mahatma Gandhi in the presence of other great National Leaders like Motilal Nehru, Jawaharlal Nehru, Vallabhai Patel, Lala Lajapati Roy, Babu Rajendra Prasad, Tanguturi Prakasam Pantulu etc. To this tri-colour flag Mahatma Gandhi added the Chakra (Wheel) symbol and declared it as the Indian National Congress Flag which was declared as the Indian National Flag by the Constituent Assembly on 22nd July, 1947.
The whole collection is spread over the two floors of the heritage building and in an annex building located behind.
The sculpture garden display ninety-three stone sculptures and architectural members datable from Satavahana (2nd Century A.D) to the post-Vijayanagara (17th Century A.D) in different stone media.
At present, the conservation work is being taken up to strengthen the roof and walls.
In the ground floor the antiquities displayed are Pre & Proto Historic stone tools and early historic pottery and objects like Bronzes, Stuccos, Coins and Bidri, Porcelain and celadon ware. In the 1st floor, the European and Indian Paintings are displayed. The Arms & Weapons Gallery is located in a separate building.
The important collections of the museum are the lime stone Buddha sculpture from Nelakondapalle, 3rd Century A.D., lime stone Plaque of Mother Goddess 2nd Century A.D Mahishasura Mardhani and Panchayathana Cult 5th Century A.D the bronzes of Tara, Veerabhadra, European paintings particularly the portrait of Queen Victoria (1877) and others.
Visitor Facilities : Clean, cool drinking water and good toilets are provided. Seating arrangements have been provided in the garden. A Companion Guide to the Museum is also available at Rs.20/-.
Timings : The Museum is open from 10.30 AM to 5.00 PM and closed on Fridays and Public Holidays.
Entry Fee : Rs.5/- for adults and Rs.3/- for children.